Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Santa Barbara, Colombia - Kids at School


I was asked to go to the local elementary school and take some pictures of the activities. The gymnasium was packed to the rafters when I went in and everybody was very excited waiting for the events. Dancing and music and gymnastic routines were all on the agenda. It was dark outside, but the gym was brightly lit. I was talking to my friends about where we were going to sit when suddenly the lights flickered for a few seconds before going out. I imagined a rush for the door, suffocation, being trampled, and I panicked because I'm claustrophobic. Some people had flashlights and others had candles, but before anybody could think of leaving I rushed to the front door and went out onto the street and waited for a crush that never happened. These people were so used to power outages they could have sat in the dark for hours, and they did, because the lights never came on again.



______________________________________________________________________

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. – Henry Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment